Saturday, May 19, 2012

Day 8 cold descent

We knew the lodge restaurant did not open until 10 so we had prepaired the night before from the small grocery. Microwave lasagne and cheese taquitos we hoped would be enough calories to sustain us for the short climb to the pass as well as the 30 mile descent to the town of Hope. It was a cold 26 degrees as we started the climb and felt much colder on the downhill. We follow the headwaters of the Skagit river down thru a snow capped mountain valley. 20 miles into the downhill the road leveled out for awhile and I noticed a very large black bear on the shoulder on the other side of the road. I watched him until Tom caught up with me. I took off my gloves and got out my camera to take a shot while riding past. I missed the photo but my main priority was not the photo but staying ahead of Tom. Second breakfast was at the Hope McDonalds. A few miles down the road we had a nice lunch at a bar and grill. A beautiful roll down the Fraizier river finaly brings us to the Sumas border crossing and diner at a Mexican restaurant. Our campsite is just down the road and the shower feels very good after a long 100 plus mile day.

Keep rolling,
Peter


1 comment:

Tim said...

Great trip report. Makes me glad to be home in 60 and sunny Seattle. Went to the Farmer's Market and then University Street Fair and no F*cking snow on the banks of any river! :) But you three ar much more into nature than me.

I fear we will be trading places soon. The weather report for Glacier Park next week is snow and 40's for the high during the day.

Super!

Well -- glad you got through your 100 mile day.

That is a lot of work. Keep Hope Alive!

love all around

Timo